Schedule Reservation


Motor Vehicle

Home 9 Motor Vehicle 9 Title


Selling Your Vehicle

Submit form HSMV 82050 Notice of Sale within 30 days of selling your vehicle. We will update the title record to “SOLD.” The ownership status is not changed until the new owner is issued a new Florida Certificate of Title.

The license plate must be surrendered if it is not transferred to a new vehicle. Transfers are completed in person or by mail. The registered owner is responsible for any unauthorized use of the license plate. To surrender your plate, download and complete the Surrender License Plate Affidavit.

High Occupancy Vehicles (HOV) Decal

A High Occupancy Vehicle Decal must be displayed on vehicle and gives you access to HOV lanes anytime, regardless of the number of passengers in your vehicle. Inherently Low Emission Vehicles (ILEV) or Hybrid Electric Vehicles (HEV) qualify for HOV decals. To purchase an HOV decal, submit form HSMV 83027 and a copy of your current vehicle registration. The fee for a one-year decal is $5.90 by mail. The fee for a two-year decal is $10.90 by mail. HOV decal renewals coincide with your vehicle registration renewals. We accept check or money order made payable to Tax Collector, PBC. HOV decals DO NOT automatically provide access to Express Toll Lanes. You must also register with South Florida Commuter Services after acquiring your HOV decal and prior to using the Express Lanes. For more information, visit

Non-attached Mobile Homes

Non-attached mobile homes must be titled and registered. The length of the unit determines the fee. The renewal period for mobile homes is October through December. Mobile home decals expire December 31. Registrations renewed after January 10 are charged a penalty. Mobile home registration decals must be placed in the lower left corner of the window closest to the street/access road.

Tangible personal property tax applies to mobile homes in the following situations:

  • With attached structures to the mobile home (such as porches, carports, etc.)
  • A registration decal is not displayed

Mobile homes taxed as real property are not subject to tangible personal property tax.

Florida Titles

A certificate of Title is proof of ownership in Florida. When a motor vehicle, mobile home or boat is sold, a new Certificate of Title must be issued in the purchaser(s) name. All vehicles are required to be titled, except mopeds, motorized bicycles and trailers weighing less than 2,000 lbs. Titles may be obtained by making a reservation to visit one of our service centers, or by mail.

Electronic Titles

An e-title is a title record held in an electronic database. When an e-titled vehicle is purchased using a loan, it is called an Electronic Lien Title (ELT). For both ELTs and e-titles, a paper title has not been printed. A paper copy can be obtained by mail, online or at one of our service centers by making a reservation.

Sales Tax on Vehicles

Sales tax is required when a vehicle is purchased. Dealers collect this tax at the time of purchase, otherwise our office (as an agent for the Florida Department of Revenue) collects the tax when the vehicle is titled. Refer to the Department of Revenue website for more information.

Permanently Affixed Mobile Homes

If you own the land and permanently affix your mobile home, you may declare the mobile home as real property.

Obtain and complete form DR-402 Mobile Home Declaration from the Property Appraiser’s Office.

Once approved, the mobile home is assessed as real property. The property owner must then deliver the approved form DR-402 to the tax collector office where the mobile home is physically located. Then a real property decal is issued.

Expedited Title Service

We offer expedited (same day) title service for an additional $10.00 fee. If all documentation is provided at your reservation, a Certificate of Title is produced in the office. Valid photo identification is required. If a representative of the owner is present, an original form HSMV 82053 Power of Attorney from the owner is required.

Out-of-State Titles

To register a vehicle that was previously titled out-of-state, complete and sign form HSMV 82040 Application for Certificate of Title. Additionally, you will need the following documents:

  • Proof of valid Florida insurance
  • Signatures of seller(s) and/or applicant(s)
  • Valid passport or U.S. driver license/ID card
  • Completed and signed bill of sale/dealer invoice
  • Proof of sales tax paid if owned less than 6 months or change of ownership
  • Vehicle for VIN verification (weather permitting) or Section 8 completed on form HSMV 82040
  • Copy of the current registration certificate
  • Out-of-state title certificate

Lienholder Letter

Please click the link for your preferred location to download the lienholder letter

Belle Glade
2976 State Road 15
Belle Glade, FL 33430
Delray Beach
501 S. Congress Ave.
Delray Beach, FL 33445
4215 S. Military Trail
Greenacres, FL 33463
Palm Beach Gardens
3188 PGA Blvd.
Palm Beach Gardens, FL 33410
16440 Town Center Parkway South
Westlake, FL 33470
West Palm Beach
301 N. Olive Ave.
West Palm Beach, FL 33401


Motor Vehicle Title Checklist

Out-of-State TitleFlorida Title TransferBrand New Title
Proof of valid Florida insurance
Signatures of seller(s) and/or applicant(s)
Completed and signed form HSMV 82040 Application for Title
Valid passport or U.S. driver license/ID card
Completed and signed bill of sale/dealer invoice
Proof of sales tax paid if owned less than 6 months or change of ownership
Verification of VIN (Vehicle Identification Number)*
Out-of-state title certificate*
Original Manufacturer’s Certificate of Origin (MCO)
Original odometer disclosure statement
Florida Certificate of Title completed and signed
Copy of the current Florida registration certificate

*Form HSMV 82040 or HSMV 82042. The VIN may also be verified on form HSMV 82040 by a law enforcement officer in any state, a Florida notary public, a licensed Florida motor vehicle dealer or by a signed, sworn affidavit from the seller and purchaser.