County-Held Tax Certificates
A tax certificate is a first lien created when a registered buyer pays the outstanding delinquent taxes on a real estate property during the annual tax certificate sale. If a certificate is not purchased by a registered buyer, the certificate is struck to the county. These certificates are referred to as County-Held Certificates and are eligible to be purchased without bidding by a registered buyer as long as they are available.
Pre-Requisites for Purchasing County-Held Certificates
Must be a registered buyer or register with RealAuction to obtain a buyer number by visiting https://palmbeachfl.realtaxlien.com.
Registered buyers receive electronic notifications from Real Auction prior to any online sale for County-Held Certificates, as well as the Annual Tax Certificate Sale.
Researching certificates prior to purchase is the responsibility of the buyer. Examples of resources available to buyers are listed below:
- Palm Beach County Property Appraiser’s website
- Clerk and Comptroller of Palm Beach County website
- Florida Statutes - Chapter 197
Prior to your purchase, confirm the status of the desired County-Held certificate(s) by emailing your list of certificates to firstname.lastname@example.org.
County-Held certificates accrue annual interest of 18% or 1.5% per month.
The property owner may redeem certificates at any time prior to a purchase. If a Tax Deed Application (TDA) is made on the parcel, all existing certificates and delinquent taxes will be included in the TDA. Once a TDA is made, the County-Held certificate(s) is/are no longer eligible for purchase.
County-held certificates may be purchased by:
- Over-the-counter by visiting the 3rd floor of our Administrative Office in West Palm Beach with certified funds or cash.
- Mailing certified funds with list of certificates.
- Wiring funds (contact Wires@pbctax.com for instructions) and providing a list of certificates to email@example.com.
- Participating in a Supplemental Sale when notified by RealAuction.
For additional information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.