Preparing to Drive
Before you get behind the wheel, take some time to prepare for success.
- Learn more about Florida's Graduated Driver Licensing (GDL) process, which has special rules for teens. This process is designed to help you build your skills gradually and could take a year or more to complete.
- Learn about financial and legal responsibilities associated with driving.
- Talk to a parent, guardian or other trusted adult. They will have valuable experience to share with you!
BE A SMART PASSENGER
You may not realize it, but being a smart passenger can help you prepare to be a smart driver.
- Always wear your seat belt.
- Observe drivers, road conditions and traffic control devices like stoplights and signs.
- Ask the person driving you to explain their decisions behind the wheel.
- Avoid driving with teen drivers until they become safer, more experienced drivers.
- Be a helpful passenger by making sure you never distract your driver.
- If you're a passenger of an unsafe driver - one who is texting, using a cellphone, speeding or driving recklessly - speak up! Tell your driver to drive safely or ask to be dropped off in a safe place.
MAINTAIN GOOD GRADES
It's important to maintain good grades to keep your auto insurance costs down. Most insurance companies offer lower rates for teen drivers who have a "B" or higher grade average. Your good grades today will help you save money later!
LEARN AS MUCH AS YOU CAN
There are many helpful resources available to prepare you for a lifetime of safe driving. Here are a few that we recommend:
- In the Driver's Seat - Our free mobile app contains the Florida Driver Handbook, practice tests, safety tips and helpful checklists. Download it today from the iOS App Store or Google Play.
- Mandel Public Library of West Palm Beach - Practice your driving skills from the safe (and fun!) driving simulator! You can also test several practice tests online.