Preparing to Drive
Before you get behind the wheel, take some time to prepare for success.
- Learn more about Florida's Graduated Driver Licensing (GDL) process, which has special rules for teens. This process is designed to help you build your skills gradually and could take a year or more to complete.
- Learn about financial and legal responsibilities associated with driving.
- Talk to a parent, guardian or other trusted adult. They will have valuable experience to share with you!
BE A SMART PASSENGER
You may not realize it, but being a smart passenger can help you prepare to be a smart driver.
- Always wear your seat belt.
- Observe drivers, road conditions and traffic control devices like stoplights and signs.
- Ask the person driving you to explain their decisions behind the wheel.
- Avoid driving with teen drivers until they become safer, more experienced drivers.
- Be a helpful passenger by making sure you never distract your driver.
- If you're a passenger of an unsafe driver - one who is texting, using a cellphone, speeding or driving recklessly - speak up! Tell your driver to drive safely or ask to be dropped off in a safe place.
MAINTAIN GOOD GRADES
It's important to maintain good grades to keep your auto insurance costs down. Most insurance companies offer lower rates for teen drivers who have a "B" or higher grade average. Your good grades today will help you save money later!
LEARN AS MUCH AS YOU CAN
There are many helpful resources available to prepare you for a lifetime of safe driving. Here are a few that we recommend:
- In the Driver's Seat - Our free mobile app contains the Florida Driver Handbook, practice tests, safety tips and helpful checklists. Click here to download or download it today from the iOS App Store or Google Play.
- Mandel Public Library of West Palm Beach - Practice your driving skills from the safe (and fun!) driving simulator! You can also test several practice tests online.